Friday, 16 April 2010

Snickers Filled Peanut Butter Cookies


It was a funny thing when Jaime from Good Eats 'n Sweet Treats recommened I try her "Not Your Typical Peanut Butter Cookies" after seeing my last sweet filled cookies. Okay, that doesn't sound so funny, but I had bookmarked the recipe as one I had to make, and was actually my next planned venture.

I had very high hopes for this recipe, it contains my two of my favourite things in the world. Peanut butter and snickers chocolate bars. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE peanut butter. It is sheer bliss in a jar, and I am warning you now that there will be many many more posts containing peanut butter. My love has grown so much that my Mum now hides the peanut butter from me, as I often eat in from the jar with a spoon ! But I found it for this post, (it was hidden one of our large saucepans). Better luck next time Mum ! And snickers, well that's just a wonderful extension of peanut butter; with peanut filled caramel, topping peanutty nougat, covered in chocolate. Drool. So yes, anything combining these I was more than happy to oblige the challenge to make them. And yes, I did almost eat the whole batch....

Egg, sugar, butter and peanut butter

Beaten together...


...and after manually having to beat in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Electric whisk died again :(
I didn't have bitesize ones, so I chopped up the big ones. This recipe only needed two bars, and maybe, possibly, a couple of them missed the dough, and may have landed in my mouth !
Followed the same process as in the post before, just rolling dough around the snickers, covering it all.
Before...
...and after impatiently waiting.
Look at that snickery yummy centre !
I loved how some of them sneakily oozed some of that peanut caramel.


As you know, I was very much looking forward to this recipe, and it never less is a very good one. But it wasn't as good as hoped. 1, I think overcooked the cookies slightly, making them more crunchy than chewy, and 2, the taste of peanut butter in the cookies was almost completely lost ! I was gutted ! I think someone needs to create peanut butter extract, so I can really get my fix. Anyway, they are a good cookies, and next time I shall cook them less, and add a wee bit more salt, to get more of a contrast with the sweet centre. Also, I think I'll try a variation Jaime recommends using Reece's Peanut Butter Cups in replace of the Snickers, because they are my greatest love.

Snickers Filled Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 normal Snickers bars

Preheat oven to 175 degrees
1. Beat together sugar, butter, vanilla and egg
2. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
3. Cut up the Snickers bars into thick slices
4. Take a teaspoon of mixture, and place a slice of Snickers in the middle
5. Roll into a ball, covering all of the Snickers
6. Bake for roughly 15 minutes, or until pale gold, set and just beggining to crack

1 comment:

  1. glad you liked them, but sorry they weren't THE best for you :) that's ok, we all have our favorites! definitely don't over bake these... and i think the reese's center will give you all the PB flavor you want :) thanks for baking from my blog!

    ReplyDelete