Sunday, 11 April 2010

First post, but an old oaty friend.


So this is my first entry on this wee blog of mine. I've wanted to start a blog for ages, as I've been following so many others for so long, but never found a suitable time to start. I'm currently in the easter holidays, and with spare time a plenty, why not start now. I shall write about baking, and recipes I attempt, and their outcomes. I'm a vegetarian too, so apologies, but this shall be a meat free zone. Also, we have family from New Zealand living with my family now, making 3, 5. So with more food needed, and more mouths to feed, it means less leftover food for me, which is probably a good thing !

I've chosen an old storecupboard friend of mine for this first blog. Simple, easy, but blissfully pleasing. Flapjack. I often think it is underrated as a food, too many coffee shops making tastless stodge, and branding it as 'healthy'. But good flapjack should be golden, chewy and mouthwateringly buttery. Also our New Zealand companiards thought flapjack was a form of pancake ! So my making it is somewhat justified, it's a form of education! as well as an excuse to fill the house with glorious oaty smells. 

I should be revising Roosevelt's New Deal, but instead I...


weighed out the ingredients and chucked the sugar, syrup and butter in a saucepan...


and melted them together on a medium heat. Look at all that glorious glossy syrup ! (DO NOT BOIL! )


Then the best part, add the oats (and any other dry ingredients) and watch as they clutch to the syrup.

I'd happily eat this as it is ! (and I did ! )

Press it into a deep pan, I used a roasting pan, not conventional, but works all the same.

And after throwing into a roaring oven, and producing heavenly smells, pull out to find this ! (apologies, mine was a bit overdone, the apricots caught a bit )

Cut up, plate up and serve, and don't expect them to stick about either. Look how bendy and soft they are, the sign of a good flapjack. They are chewy, but in a suprisingly delicate way.


Spring has definately sprung here, hence the daffodills and I think flapjack is a completely unseasonal recipe, good all year round. This recipe is undoubtedly the easiest recipe I know, it involves 1 pan and 1 baking tray, so no mess and no fuss, just pleasure. This recipe is the basic one, you can add ANYTHING to it, I added chopped apricots to mine, but you could any dried fruits, or nuts, or chocolate; wherever the mood takes you. I think next time I shall try white chocolate and macadamia nuts, always a good combo I find.

Flapjacks
12oz porridge oats
8oz butter or magarine
5oz golden syrup
5oz light muscavado sugar

  1. Weigh out the ingredients and preheat an oven at 200 degrees.

  2. Melt together to sugar, syrup and butter to form a glossy syrup, but do not boil.

  3. Add the oats and any other dry ingredients to the syrup, and stir til the oats are suitably coated.

  4. Line a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper and press the mixture in with a wooden spoon.

  5. Put into a hot oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on how soft you want them.

  6. Take out and leave to cool.

  7. Cut up, plate up, or just eat straight from the pan with a knife and fork !

No comments:

Post a Comment