Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Caramel filled chocolate cookies


I had a GCSE drama rehearsal today at my house. Yes, even though it's holiday, we still have to work. So I was expecting 4 stressed, thespian teenagers. Joy. What'd you make to bring a smile back to their worried faces? Caramel filled chocolate cookies.

I'd been eyeing up this recipe for a while now, and just needed an excuse to make it. I found it on Ruth's Kitchen Experiments and I chose to follow her recipe, omitting the pecans. What was most appealing for me was the use of rolos. I haven't had a rolo since I was about 5 ! and so was very excited to enjoy they're caramelly pleasures again.
Mixing the dry ingredients

Beaten the butter (I don't like margarine, to chemically) and the two types of sugar, I used an electric whisk

Adding egg and vanilla
Combining the dry ingredients, I thought I could be lazy and use the electric whisk for this part too...

...but sadly the whisk couldn't handle the cookie dough, I ended up mixing it with a spoon. Damm! Must use my limited muscle power.

But if you have to use muscle power, reward yourself. Take the spoon...

...and lick it to death !

The recipe calls for a tbsp spoon of dough, but this made HUGE cookies, so I recommend using a dessert spoon/small handful, it sill covers the rolo fine. Remember the less cookie, the more caramelly goodness.

Wrap the dough around the rolo, making sure there's no gaps.

Put them in the oven, and let the magic of cooking happen. ( Don't over cook! it'll ruin the chewy-ness of the cookies, only cook til slightly cracked on the top )

Look at that delightful rolo centre, and the surrounding chewy brownie cookie ! YUMMERS !

My two sizes of cookie, the left being my adapted smaller size, and the daddy on the right being the tablespoon. I did drizzle them in white chocolate too, but forgot to take photos.

I haven't had cookies in a while, but these were lovely. The rolo in the centre melted creating a gooey consistency and as you bite into it, it pulls and goes stringy, alla mozezerella, and I loved it ! Felt all childish and playful. The cookie mixture, though simple is gooooooooooood. Like I said before, it's almost brownie like, and sticks to the roof of your mouth in a wonderfully dense way. But that density contrasts the crunchy exterior. Mmmmm. My fellow thespians hoovered them down and demanded I made more. Divas !

Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
40-48 Rolos, unwrapped (from 13-oz. pkg.)
4 oz. melted white chocolate


1. Preheat oven to 375˚F/190˚C
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; mix well.
3. In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
4. For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 dessert spoon/small handful dough around 1 rolo, covering completely.
5. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled.
6. Melt the white chocolate in small bowl in microwave, stirring constantly until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

2 comments:

  1. those look delicious! speaking of candy filled cookies, you should try the peanut butter cookies filled with snickers in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny ? I follow your blog, and I have that recipe bookmarked ! Next recipe I think :D

    ReplyDelete